Friday, November 20, 2009

Loving My Work

Judi Bomberger metal sculpture

Having been out of work for a week I was reminded again, today, how much I enjoy my work. There are many, many parts of my day that I would categorize as my job. But not the time I spend with children. The time I spend with children is my work. And that, despite all the useless paperwork, boring and/or tense meetings, bad attitudes and constant assessments, is why I work in a public school. I worked with a student today who has had a difficult time engaging in his work. Yes, he has a serious disability but he is even more disabled by his attitude. He could care less. Today, however, he was different, probably happy his routine was back to normal because I finally showed up, but after working with him for a short time I told him, "You have really stepped up." I thought for a moment and then asked him, "What does that mean?" "It means I care and I work hard now," he told me with a big smile. Indeed, I don't just enjoy my work, often, I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment