Tuesday, August 4, 2009

28,557 E-mails


So, after I work out in the morning and have my smoothie, I sit down at my husband's computer to check my e-mail. This morning I clicked on my Yahoo account ready to read e-mails from a variety of people including my brother who I am soon visiting in NYC, our tenants as we negotiate their lease, and our real estate agent who wants us to lower our sale price. And then I clicked again. My Yahoo e-mail wouldn't open. So, I tried my other applications. Facebook opened easily as did my rarely used G-mail account. "Can't be my computer," I quickly deduced. So I clicked back to Yahoo and highlighted "Clinton meets Kim Jong II". That worked so it cannot be Yahoo in general, I think to myself. And then it hits me, OMG, whatever will I do without my e-mail today. What if I cannot access my account. How will I function! It's at this point that I am alarmed at how much I rely on my e-mail. Certainly it could be that my Yahoo e-mail account won't open because I have, get ready, 28,557 upopened e-mails. Let me explain. I have a habit of just skipping over all the junk mail (and I get a lot). I don't bother to delete. Why should I? I have "unlimited storage" and every other 3rd year I am able to retrieve that one e-mail that I was really, really looking for :) :) But, then, I recalled that just this morning as I was sweating away on our elliptical machine, I watched the Today show news piece on the crisis in the US postal service. Apparently, people are relying more and more on e-mail for much of their communication and less and less on the US postal service. For example, my husband tells me he scans letters and e-mails them from his business vs. sending them in the post. So, of course, what is the solution? Following some convoluted, beurocratic logic that makes absolutely no sense to me, I'm sure postal rates will rise rates which means people will turn to e-mail more so, of course, postal rates will rise and then people will e-mail more......

In any event, it gives me pause to see how much I rely on my e-mail these days, and apparently how much everybody else does. Our society is morphing and I find that exciting ( I do love technology) yet unsettling. Now, let me post this to my blog and link it to my facebook page.....

No comments:

Post a Comment