Friday, April 27, 2012

Arrhythmia

Periodically I get a heart sonogram, blood test, and wear a halter monitor for 24 hours. These tests let me know how my heart is functioning. I don't really have a serious heart ailment, per se, rather I have 2 irregular heart beats that can look like I am having a heart attack, which is what the primary care physician thought when I went in for a check-up 7 years ago and promptly called the ambulance to race me to the ER. "No, I don't think I am having a heart attack," I told the frantic physician with a frown, "I have noticed this weird beating for about a month," as she laid me on the gurney and asked if I was light headed. I am happy they act in such a frantic manner but the whole scene was a little too dramatic for me. Anyway, I recently went to a new and very young doctor (my favorite doctor has moved on). She listens to my heart and her face flushes. "Get the EKG," she tells her nurse. Despite what I tell her, she is now freaking out telling me that medicine is the only answer. I have worked hard to not be on heart medication. She tells me I have hyper tension. I tell her I am way nervous at the doctor's office, "You know, white coat syndrome?" I leave her office vowing to visit my cardiologist and find a new physician.  

No comments:

Post a Comment